Tuesday, January 18, 2011

artichoke and eggs


Artichokes are great. I like them in all kinds of ways. Simply steamed, with each nice fat leaf plucked and dipped into melted butter with garlic. Or, surprisingly, raw in a salad with some nice raw mushrooms, rocket leaves and shreds of parmesan (as done by Pasta e mani in Rome). Or used as a vegetable along with others in a nice pasta sauce.



Or as I had it on one of my first vegan "cheat" days... a Southern US classic, eggs sardou. Artichoke heart, sauteed spinach, poached egg and hollandaise sauce. With my spicy potato hashbrowns on the side. So satisfying, a perfect balance of tastes. Although, I think the best thing that goes with poached eggs and hollandaise is nicely toasted brown bread. So perhaps I need to put in a thin layer of carbs in there somewhere. Always good to have something soak up the tasty juices that come out of such a dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment